Melissa's Blog

Friday, January 2, 2009

New Year's

I'm one of them. Yes, I finally decided to join the world of bloggers. Partly, I'm jealous of Eric's successful sports blog and partly I need a place to ramble. And hopefully writing down my goals will make me more accountable.


Eric says I can't write a blog if I don't have a topic to write about it. Well, my life is the topic, and no, I'm not promising anything interesting or insighful. If I'm the only one who reads this, then that's fine.


I felt the need to chronicle 2009, especially given the past few days Eric and I have been through.


On our way down to Orlando on Wednesday for the bowl game, we were discussing how great of a year 2008 had been for us. We had a dream wedding and honeymoon...how could things have been any better? We both said we were looking forward to getting a house (and for me, a puppy) in 2009.


And then...10 minutes later...in Hahira, Georgia...


We got into a bad car wreck. I keep re-playing the events in my head...semi coming into our lane...losing control of the car...heading towards to concrete median...hitting the median...air bags coming out...screaming...flipping upside down...glass everywhere...flipping upside down again...landing right side up back in the interstate. I think we were so traumatized then to realize how bad the accident was and how very lucky we were to escape with cuts, stitches, bumps, and bruises.



First, I'm so thankful to the nice people that stopped to help us. I wish I had a way to properly thank them. And for the semi that drove off...well, that's another story.


Mostly, I kept thinking that December 31, 2008 could have easily been my last day here. As I saw myself slinging into the median, I really wasn't sure what was going to happen next. When we landed, I wasn't sure if Eric was still going to be there sitting in the driver's seat next to me. What would I have done if I lost him? Thankfully, he was sitting right there with his hand over my lap screaming at me to make sure I was ok. We both walked away with just a little blood trailing behind us.


I keep 'what if-ing' the whole situation...what if we hadn't stopped at McDonald's a few hours earlier? What if I had been driving? What if we had decided to bring my car instead of his? I now realize that this isn't healthy and there's nothing we could have done to change anything. You hear about these things happening to other people, but never to you.


Now we're worried about paying all of our bills and buying a new car (which wasn't in the plans, considering we're trying to be a house). But hey, if that's all we have to worry about we are very lucky. At least we can take advantage of all the good deals on houses and cars right now!


So I'm hoping 2009 is a better year for us. I made a few "resolutions", so hopefully writing will help be more accountable:


-stress out about work less

-don't take my stress out on friends and family

-work out four times a week and get healthier, lose 5-10 pounds

-read more for pleasure

-finish one more CEBS course

-rehab my jaw so it doesn't pop all the time (this goes with the whole stress thing)

-throw an awesome New Year's party at our new house next year to make up for our crappy New Year's this year....=)



1 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home